SIT30816 Certificate III in Commercial Cookery (CRICOS: 102989A)
About this course
Certificate III Commercial Cookery:
CRICOS Course Code: 102989A
Level 13, 190 Queen Street, Melbourne 3000.
80 Blair Street, Broadmeadows 3047.
185-187 Boundary Road, North Melbourne.
Level 4, 3-4 Bennett Street, East Perth 6004.
28/386 Wanneroo Road, Westminster WA 6061
Intake: Multiple intakes available
This qualification reflects the role of cooks who use a wide range of well-developed cookery skills and sound knowledge of kitchen operations to prepare food and menu items. Using discretion and judgement, they work with some independence and under limited supervision using plans, policies, and procedures to guide work activities.
Completion of this qualification contributes to recognition as a trade cook.
This qualification provides a pathway to work as a cook in organisations such as restaurants, hotels, clubs, pubs, cafes, and coffee shops.
The skills in this qualification must be applied in accordance with Commonwealth and State or Territory legislation, Australian standards, and industry codes of practice.
The duration of this course is 52 weeks, including a 10-week work placement.
Face to face classroom, Practical training and assessment is completed in commercial kitchen and 200 hours of Work-based Training arranged by the Institute.
WORK BASED TRAINING
This course includes work-based training of a minimum of 200 hours/10 weeks. During work-based training, students will be able to practice their skills and knowledge in real workplace settings. This will assist students to be job-ready at graduation. Work Based Training is organized by the Institute.
On successful completion of the course candidates can seek employment as
- All overseas students entering this qualification must have an English Language proficiency level of one of the below:
- IELTS band score of 5.5 (Academic or general version) or equivalent internationally recognized exam result, or
- IELTS band score of 5.0 (Academic or general version) then Satisfactory completion of ELICOS or ESL up to 20 weeks at upper intermediate level or
- Upper Intermediate (General English) or higher certificate from a CRICOS registered English language training provider
- In the 2 years before commencing the course, has completed secondary studies equivalent to an Australian Year 12 qualification from an English language speaking country.
- In the 2 years before commencing the course, has completed, in Australia and in the English language, either the Senior Secondary Certificate of Education or a substantial component of a course leading to a qualification from the Australian Qualifications Framework at the Certificate III or higher level.
- Acacia Institute also has an online English proficiency test to ensure that students have the English language capacity to successfully complete this course.
- For overseas students on an Australian student visa, Acacia Institute has a requirement that all students must be over 18 years of age at the commencement of course.
- It is recommended that students have attained a year 12 certificate or equivalent.
Language, Literacy and Numeracy Requirements
There are no language, literacy and numeracy requirements to enter this qualification. However, LLN testing will be used during enrolment to investigate the need for language, literacy and numeracy support throughout the course.
There are no licensing or regulatory requirements associated with this course.
For international students, ACACIA has a requirement that all students must be over 18 years of age at the commencement of course.
International students are required to hold Overseas Health Insurance cover for the duration of the course.
Students exiting this qualification may choose to progress with further studies by undertaking one or more of the following qualifications:
- SIT40516 Certificate IV in Commercial Cookery
- A range of other qualifications at the Certificate IV level.
Unit of Competency:
|SITXFSA001||Use hygienic practices for food safety|
|SITXFSA002||Participate in safe food handling practices|
|SITXWHS001||Participate in safe work practices|
|SITXWHS002||Identify hazards, assess and control safety risks|
|BSBSUS201||Participate in environmentally sustainable work practices|
|BSBWOR203||Work Effectively with others|
|SITXHRM001||Coach others in job skills|
|SITHCCC001||Use food Preparation Equipment|
|SITHKOP001||Clean Kitchen premises and equipment|
|SITXINV002||Maintain the quality of perishable items|
|SITHCCC005||Prepare dishes using basic methods of cookery|
|SITHCCC018||Prepare food to meet special dietary requirements|
|BSBCMM201||Communicate in the workplace|
|SITXINV001||Receive and store stock|
|SITHCCC006||Prepare appetisers and salads|
|SITHCCC007||Prepare stocks, sauces and soups|
|SITHCCC008||Prepare Vegetable, fruit, egg and farinaceous dishes.|
|SITHCCC012||Prepare poultry dishes|
|SITHCCC013||Prepare seafood dishes|
|SITHCCC014||Prepare meat Dishes|
|SITHKOP002||Plan and cost basic menus|
|SITHCCC017||Handle and serve cheese|
|SITHCCC019||Produce cakes, pastries and breads|
|SITHCCC020||Work Effectively as a Cook.|